If you follow me on social media you’ll have already seen my latest thrift score:
The charity shop staff had quite a giggle when I excitedly photographed it on the rack and were overcome with hilarity when I actually bought it (for only €1 – seriously get to know your charity shop staff, a smile & friendly chat about thrifting can most definitely bring you some awesome deals + a peek through the back room treasure trove!)
That incredible example of 80’s nostalgia was in desperate need of an overhaul:
Here’s what I did + my simple bias binding technique:
I removed the weird waist elastic and grabbed some navy blue dye.
Once the jumpsuit was dyed, I removed the collar.
Then chopped the legs to my desired length + a few centimeters extra for seam allowance.
I folded up the raw edge of the pant legs to hem and grabbed some elastic.
Stitched the hem leaving a small opening for adding the elastic.
Measured out some elastic to fit snugly but comfortably around my calves, popped a safety pin onto a piece and fed it through the hem opening, stitched the ends together and repeated with the other jumpsuit leg.
I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to do with the sleeves but they most certainly had to go so first I tried simply chopping them off following the line of the seam. Blech!
Next, I snagged a shirt with my desired armhole size, placed it on top of the jumpsuit and used it as a template to mark and chop the huge sleeve holes.
(if you’re digging that glitzy top get the tutorial here)
Then I stitched down from my underarm pin marks angling towards the side seam until I reached it, chopped off the excess fabric & repeated on the other side.
As requested on my facebook page, here’s my quick & simple (totally non-expert) bias binding technique:
Place the bias binding on top of the fabric with wrong sides facing and the raw edge of the fabric centered in the middle of the bias binding. To make life easier I always use bias binding with a finished or folded edge & don’t measure and cut it to size but instead unroll it as I sew it on.
(As I was binding my armholes I lined up the end of the bias binding with the underarm seam)
Stitch it on slowly.
Pay close attention to the bias binding position at all times.
As you near the starting point chop the bias binding to size + a centimeter or 2 extra for folding…
fold under the raw edge and finish stitching it on.
Hooray, one side is done!
Flip the garment right side out and fold the bias binding over the fabric edge to the front and stitch together!
et voila! Perfectly bound armholes!
I wanted to add some of my vintage trim & wasn’t thrilled with how it coordinated with the navy blue colour result so I snagged a package of black dye…
(unfortunately, in my experience, black fabric dye rarely gives a true black result unless it is colouring a very dark item to begin with)
I stitched some of that lovely embroidered trim around the waist of the jumpsuit effectively covering those ugly seams.
And then bound the neckline as well!