Do you love all things vintage and retro? Are you always on the hunt for quirky treasures from the past?
Then Wise Apple Vintage will definitely have a groovy gem (or five!) to add to your collection!
Curated by Nikki McIntosh, Wise Apple Vintage features her amazingly photographed preloved discoveries and is a love story to all things vintage and adorably twee.
Find out how Nikki transformed her passion for vintage into a successful business, check out her gorgeous finds + fab vintage spotting tips and why I’m Totally Smitten With Wise Apple Vintage:
I’ve been a fan of all things vintage for just about as long as I can remember. Even as a kid growing up in the 80s, I remember feeling drawn to the past – I loved watching old episodes of The Lawrence Welk Show and Bewitched, and I especially loved old musicals. The clothes! The hair! The home décor and furniture! I loved it all.
By the time I hit middle school, I was wearing vintage clothes and going to the thrift stores pretty regularly – I just loved the bright colors, whimsical patterns, and one-of-a-kind nature of thrifted treasures! Fast forward ten years, and I found myself with more vintage goodies than I knew what to do with – so I began selling a few things on Etsy, basically just trying to make room for all of the treasures I couldn’t stand to part with. After a string of pretty terrible jobs, I decided to get a bit more serious about selling vintage. I figured it was worth a try, and if it didn’t work out, I could just look for another desk job. Almost nine years later, I still haven’t had to go look for that desk job – thank goodness!
While it started as a just-for-fun Etsy shop, Wise Apple Vintage has now grown into its very own website. I absolutely love every aspect of running Wise Apple Vintage, but my favorite part is still the treasure hunting! There’s nothing I love more than that heart-pumping moment when I’ve spotted a true gem amongst the thrift store cast-offs. I think it’s pretty safe to say that I’m a thrifter for life!
Nikki’s Top 5 Vintage Treasure-Hunting Tips:
1. Bring CASH! Whether you’re making a spur-of-the-moment stop at a neighborhood garage sale or you’ve just spotted a 25-cent treasure at the thrift store, having good ol’ fashioned cash makes everything easier. You won’t believe how often I’ve missed out on an amazing score simply because a store’s credit card machine is down (or non-existent!).
2. Take your time. By the time I leave a thrift store, I’ve seen pretty much everything. The collectibles section might be pretty picked over, but perhaps a treasure is hiding in with the toys! Or purses! Or that scary-looking silverware bin! Plenty of thrifters will pop by a charity shop in a hurry, so being thorough is sometimes the best way to score a treasure that everyone else has missed.
3. Know what you’re looking for. It’s easy to get overwhelmed once you’ve walked into thrift store. I keep a list in my phone of all the random things I’m searching for, weather it’s the missing lid to a casserole dish I’ve previously bought, glassware to even out my sets, or something specific I’m trying to find for my own home. Taking a minute to peek at my list before I even set foot in a store helps keep my wish list fresh.
4. Keep an open mind. Try to think creatively when you’re looking for something in particular. For example – is a new jewelry organizer on your thrift store wish list? Maybe a mug rack would do the trick…
5. Don’t give up! I sometimes visit the same store ten times before finding something worth buying. Just because you haven’t found anything in a while, doesn’t mean today won’t be different! In fact, today might be the day you find the BEST thing you’ve EVER found! You won’t know if you don’t look!
Are you an eco-fashion warrior, thrifty style guru, upcycling star or refashionista? Get in touch, introduce yourself and be featured in an upcoming Totally Smitten With!