Do you ever meet someone, instantly click and feel like you’ve known them forever?
Such was the case with my thrifty diva soul sister Elene Marsden, the wickedly stylish creator of Preloved Chica. If we lived in the same country we’d most certainly be hitting the charity shops together as often as possible, unfortunately we’ll have to wait until schedules and funds allow us to travel across the globe to each other, fortunately technology is awesome and we can chat and shop virtually!
Find out how Elene discovered her love of sustainable style, her top thrifting tips and just why I’m so Totally Smitten With PreLoved Chica:
I’ve always loved wearing second-hand clothes and at the start of 2014, I’d been experimenting with live Google Hangouts as a way to help businesses have their very own TV shows when I had a lightbulb moment. It was a Saturday in January, I came home with a pair of purple boots from a local charity shop. I was so proud of these boots I wanted to share my second-hand bargain with the world and that’s exactly what I did, I broadcast live to my YouTube channel parading my boots.
I found the whole experience exciting and scary at the same time because each show was live. My first 70 videos were all streamed live and included interviews with people from other parts of the UK, Europe and beyond. It was easy, I just turned the camera on and hit the Start Broadcast button. Over those first 6 months, I got into the habit of creating one video a week for my channel.
2 years later and I’m still producing one video a week but now I go on location a bit more and broadcast unlisted videos to YouTube so I can add sound tracks and photos to my videos later. I really love shopping for preloved clothes and enjoy meeting other second-hand fashionistas. If that’s you, get in touch so we can arrange to meet on a Google Hangout. It really doesn’t matter where you are in the world.
Elene’s Top 5 Thrifting Tips:
1. Allow plenty of time when you go out shopping for second-hand clothes and enjoy every minute as you browse in eager anticipation of finding your next fabulous outfit.
2. Try things on and be adventurous. Something that looks rubbish on the hanger might look fab on you!
3. Look at clothes that are the next size up or down to your size because labels can be misleading.
4. Get friendly with your local thrift/charity store staff, tell them the kind of clothes you’re looking for and ask them if they wouldn’t mind putting a few things to one side for you.
5. Look out for jewellery to accessorize your preloved outfits. I’ve bought a number of beautiful bracelets at my local charity shop for only £1!
A huge hug and kiss to Elene for sharing her story and fantastic tips with us! Head on over and subscribe to her Preloved Chica channel for a weekly dose of thrifty diva fun!
Are you an eco-fashion warrior, thrifty style guru, upcycling star or refashionista? Get in touch, introduce yourself and be featured in an upcoming Totally Smitten With!