It takes an insane amount of time, talent, energy, money and just plain hard work to make a blog appear effortless and fun. Unfortunately the average blog reader either isn’t aware of the enormity of the difficult, time consuming work that goes on behind the scenes or assumes that if a blog is presented in a professional manner the blogger behind it must be paid well for their skills and expertise. Sadly this is rarely true and the majority of bloggers are, in all honesty, working their tails off for free to gain that all important massive audience base that companies and sponsors require to prove that they are “worthy” of monetary payment.
Eco-friendly upcycling bloggers like myself have it even more difficult as the bulk of paid post and article opportunities are from companies with unethical, unsustainable and unscrupulous business and production methods, argh!
How can you help? Check out my 5 easy ways to support your fave bloggers and show your appreciation for their work with some much needed encouragement and a traffic boost:
1. Comment. I don’t think there’s anyone online who doesn’t appreciate a kind comment, especially when so many of us are the victims of trolls.
Blogging is a solitary work environment that is most definitely quite lonely at times. Letting bloggers know that you enjoy what they do and appreciate their hard work goes a very long way to breaking through the isolation of working completely alone + it’s an awesome feeling to discover that our creativity and dedication is indeed helping others and not going unnoticed. Take a peek at my top tips for sharing your thoughts & a wee bit of commenting etiquette.
2. Like & Follow. It takes less than a second of your time to hit those little like and follow buttons on social media but it really does go a long way in this fast-paced online world and can even help push those all important behind the scenes stats!
3. Share the posts you love with your own online circles and encourage others to do the same.
I get it, in this fast paced internet society even something as quick & easy as clicking a mouse or tapping a screen can feel like it takes too much time but the reality is, it doesn’t and the resulting visibility, success & opportunities that a blogger can receive from a multitude of positive shares is something that readers should want for the person who works so hard behind the scenes for free, amiright? (Not sure how to share your fave posts with your own online circles? Here’s a handy guide.)
4. Join. If a blog has an online community, like a facebook group and/or fanpage, join it! Not only is it a great way to keep up with new blog posts but we bloggers also post lots of groovy tidbits throughout the day in our online communities that aren’t available on our blogs + it’s another fab way to communicate, like & share!
5. Buy. Help your favourite bloggers pay the bills and continue blogging by purchasing their products or services. Many bloggers (including myself) share their hard work, time talents and creativity with you for free so if you can afford to buy their products and services absolutely do so, you’ll not only be scoring some amazing gear but also be helping to support a small business so they can pay those behind the scenes bills and continue providing the fantastic free content you’ve come to expect.
My $3 e-book series and 50+ tutes for $5 Life on the ZigZag book as well as my makes for fast fashion prices online shop are all incredibly reasonably priced and the bits of money I earn from those sporadic sales definitely helps keep food on the table at the moment.
How do you support your fave bloggers?
Get your refashioning on with my Confessions of a Refashionista e-book series for only $3 each!
Get the scoop and grab your copy of CoaR: Life on the ZigZag – Over 50 tutes for $5 right here!