Wanna help create a better world?
Discover just how easy it is to get started with my top 6 sustainable lifestyle tips:
1. Reuse items you already have instead of buying new (why buy Tupperware when margarine containers can easily be washed and reused?). Don’t think you have anything reusable? Do a house purge and swap the bits you don’t want with friends and relatives to score some groovy new-to-you gear for free!
2. Mend and repair whenever possible and avoid falling into the consumer trap of tossing out and buying new. Not only does this save you money but it also means fewer items will end up in the trash mountains at the landfill.
3. Make do with what you already have. Have a serious think before you make a purchase: Do you really need it? Will it be used often? Is it something you can easily pass on to someone in your circles once you decide you don’t want it anymore? (As only about 20% of items donated to thrift shops actually make it on to the shop floor for resale it’s better to give your unwanted gear to those that you know will actually make use of them)
4. Thrift! If you absolutely need something new, get it secondhand whenever possible. New to you is still new!
5. Refashion what you already own into completely different garments. It’s amazing how a quick snip or small tweak can transform those unworn pieces at the back of your closet! My tutorial index is chock full of simple step-by-step DIYs for gals, guys, kiddos and accessories to get you started!
6. Upcycle everything! So much of what we have cluttering up our drawers, jewellery boxes, toy chests and storage rooms can be recreated into fantastic new items with a bit of imagination! Take a scroll through my tutorials for the nest and accessorizing DIYs for loads of upcycled decor, furniture and outfit topper inspiration!
What are your sustainable lifestyle tips and tricks? Let me know in the comments below!
Disclaimer: I am not at all an expert on the big business of fast fashion however I am a concerned consumer who has chosen to learn & share as much as I can through my own personal experiences & the wealth of resources available online.