Discover how Zen transitioned from the stressful world of corporate marketing to inspirational DIY lifestyle blogging + get her top thrifty upcycling tips:
For as long as I can remember I’ve always been interested in making and designing. One of my childhood dreams was to be a fashion designer (or magazine editor) but, honestly, I simply don’t have the talent for it.
Growing up, I was always making jewellery which I would show at fairs and bazaars. I even organised a fair in my hall of residence during university to sell my jewellery! However it’s always been a sideline and not earned enough to be a full-time job.
So there I was working in an office and HATING life when I finally decided to stop living vicariously through others and quit my job to travel the world for a year. Unfortunately my Dad got sick, so the awesome round-the-world adventure didn’t quite happen as planned but it did make me have a good hard think about my ideal happiness-achieving job and that was how my DIY Lifestyle blog “Hapiness Wherever”came to be.
Yes, the single “P” in Hapiness seems pretty pretentious. In all honesty, I posted quite a few articles before realising that I’d misspelled Happiness! In the end I decided a single “P” Hapiness could actually be pretty cool + I was too lazy to redo all of the posts! I’m not sure if I’ll ever be successful enough to blog full-time, but I enjoy it and that’s what makes me keep at it even when the behind the scenes stats look dismal.
Zen’s Top 5 Upcycling & DIY Tips:
1. Everything can be reused! I would say never throw anything away but space-wise, that might not be possible.
2. Sharpies are a good way to makeover anything. A touch of gold Sharpie gives anything a more glam upmarket look.
3. A good strong all-purpose glue is your friend. Find the brand that works best for you, it makes so many projects easier!
4. There’s lots of inspiration online. Check Pinterest or search google for some awesome upcycling tutorials!
5. Mix high and low. You don’t have to have everything in your home or wardrobe be upcycled, try styling thrifted & DIY’d items with some designer finds as well.
A huge Canadian bear squeeze to Zen for sharing her tale and tips!
Pop on over to Hapiness Wherever for loads of creative lifestyle inspiration and upcycling tutorials!