I’m completely enamoured with my fellow Thrift Style Thursday refashionista Miche of Buttons and Birdcages. She not only has amazing style but also an approachable & sincere personality that shines through in all of her beautifully photographed posts.
This chic DIY diva is definitely a gorgeous gal after my own heart!
Let’s meet Miche…
Before I was a blogger I was an avid an admirer of bloggers. They were so stylish and so fun. I looked at myself in the mirror and thought: “Man, I’m frumpy”. Then one day I decided: “I can be one of those stylish and fun people too!”
I started Buttons and Birdcages as a way to refine my personal style and track my crafting/sewing progress. I was not expecting to love it so much, meet such incredible people, or feel a such a strong sense of community as I do now. Blogging has become more than just a hobby. For me it’s self-care. It’s networking. It’s a diary. And most importantly, it’s friendship.
Miche’s top thrifting (& refashioning) tips:
1. Patience! Thrifting takes time and patience, be sure to allot extra time to sift through the racks so you aren’t totally rushed.
2. If you can, go in the middle of the day: Thrift shops are typically less crowded during the daytime hours.
3. Try on that weird thing that you’re unsure about: Some of my best finds have been unexpected.
4. To get started refashioning: Look for things that generally fit, but might be a little too long (hemming is an important, and fairly easy refashioning technique).
5. Set limits for yourself on how much you’re willing to spend that trip: I’m bad at this, and typically end up overspending/overbuying. It’s easy to get out of control in a thrift store, just being aware of this helps!
Thank you so very much for sharing your story & fabulous thrifty hints Miche! You are truly an inspiration!
Pop on over to Buttons and Birdcages and stimulate your style!